• Welcome to ozVolks.com If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Rules by clicking the hyperlink.

Note that you are required to register before you can post.

If you experience a problem logging in, drop me an email to admin@ozVolks.com and I'll sort it out for you.

To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

MK4 GTi lack of power

Denmal

Hi all. New here, not sure if this is the right place to post this. My 2000 Golf GTi
Has recently started bogging down under acceleration, sometimes backfiring through the air filter under hard acceleration. I've run 2 full tanks of 98 with injector cleaner, and pulled the throttle body of and gave it a good clean. It seems to be going better, but has a flat spot at about quarter on the accelerator pedal, and I have to clutch it, get the revs up, and then it goes really well. Where do I go from here? I don't have any dash lights on, and the scanner isn't picking up any error codes.

welcome to the forum.

What scanner are you using, as some don't show all the codes.

normally this would sound like coil packs, but that would throw a misfire error on the scanner.

other problems could be fuel pump if it's original.

where about are you located?

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

welcome to the forum.

normally this would sound like coil packs, but that would throw a misfire error on the scanner.

welcome to the forum.

I'm located in Townsville, QLD. The fuel pump looks to be original. I pulled it out to make sure the pick-up wasn't blocked. It was super clean. I also replaced the fuel filter. I used my son's scanner, it's a Bosch, designed for European cars. It's a process of elimination, seeing that the scanner's not picking up any errors. I would agree on a faulty fuel pump, but once you get past that flat spot, I get full acceleration and boost, so it doesn't really make sense.

any independents around you that can use vcds/vagcom or a factory scanner just so you aren't chasing ghosts?

If nothing comes up on the scan, then it's easier to rule out common problems like coil packs etc.

Can be intake flaps etc, but probably best to get the scan first to see if that helps.

Back